About

Letter to the EditorSubmit a StoryFacebookTwitter

About

About The Tweed News

The Tweed News has been independently owned and operated for well over a century. The first Tweed News newspaper was published on March 18, 1887. The newspaper’s founders, Jas. A. Orr and W.W. Little, had relocated their Tamworth based newspaper, The Tamworth News and Addington Reporter, to Tweed and renamed the paper The Tweed News and Addington Advertiser. 

In the beginning type was set by hand and a few hundred copies were run off on a small Washington hand-press. The paper would become known as The Tweed Weekly News and Hastings County Advertiser in 1900 when the name was changed by then publisher W. J. Taylor. In 1928 the paper absorbed Tweed’s other village newspaper, The Tweed Advocate.

Over time the paper would eventually become known as The Tweed News. Clyde Bell and Bob Hanna purchased the paper on May 1, 1964. Today the paper is owned and operated by Rodger Hanna. The Tweed News serves both the Municipality of Tweed and the Land O’ Lakes Tourist Area. Newspapers are available at many area stores and read by people all across Ontario, Canada and the United States.